Posted: 14th June 2020
Sorry I missed last week. As I'm sure you're aware the last few weeks have been A Lot and I've not been coping great. I'm very privileged in that I'm not directly effected by a lot of what's been going on but between that and some family stuff that hit I've not be hugely motivated to write.
Regarding the last few weeks I've not really said anything as I've not felt I've had anything to add but, for the avoidance of doubt: black lives matter, police brutality has to stop (both the UK and US police need systematic overhauls), statues aren't important but that means we should be happy to ditch those of slave owners, trans women are women, trans men are men, JK Rowling's wrong and the UK Government should support all trans folk.
Also, I frankly don't think anyone reads these and... I just can't be bothered I started them to try and get me writing regularly and try to track some of the more interesting things I read and that just doesn't seem as useful to me at the moment. If you do read these I would love to hear from you but I'm probably going to put this on hiatus until I figure out what stuff I want to write.
Anyway here're a load of links from the last two weeks that I found interesting:
- UK BLM reading list by Lanre Bakare there are several of these kicking about, this one is for those of us in the UK
- CN for police brutality, racism For cops who kill, special Supreme Court protection By Andrew Chung, Lawrence Hurley, Jackie Botts, Andrea Januta and Guillermo Gomez a long read on why it's so hard to get charges to stick against US cops (tl;dr the system is rigged).
- What's Nicky Learning? "A Very Tentative Theory of Being Human" by Nicky Case, this post really hit me. It's some broad thoughts on how humans work/coping with COVID-19 and introduced me to ARC theory of psychological needs.
- Giant undersea bug in Toba aquarium poops for first time in two years by Master Blaster. Giant isopods are awesome also heh poop.
- SIGGRAPH 2020: Technical Papers Preview Trailer by assorted folks, SIGGRAPH is the seminal computer graphics conference and their demo reel is always fascinating.
- SRE, CSE, and the safety boundary by Lorin Hochstein, I'd not encountered cognitive systems engineer, nor Rasmussen’s dynamic safety model both are interesting and I should probably read more on them
- Largest Known Maya Structure Found, More than 4,000 Feet Long and Nearly 3,000 Years Old by Charles Q. Choi, I'm continuously amused at how many structures are just sitting in the rainforest, hidden by the canopy.
- AI spacefactory's MARSHA wins 1st place in the finale of NASA's 3D printed habitats by David Malott. How to potentially build habitats on Mars.
- Haveibeenpwned.com pwned our helpdesk! GLPI 9.4.5 SQL Injection by Fyr Matt SQL injection attacks are still a thing.
- Norwegian mudslide by Jan Egil Bakkeby (tweet from Jan Fredrik Drabløs) this is an amazing video of a mudslide in Alta, Norway. Forbes has this write up (tl;dr 1 person was injured, 8 houses destroyed)